230g plain flour
115g dessicated coconut
115g brown sugar
75g golden syrup
2 x 400g cans condensed milk
185g dark chocolate
3 tbsp sunflower oil
1. preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius/gas mark 6. line a 20x30 cm slice tin with greaseproof paper.
2. melt the butter. stir the flour, coconut, butter and sugar together in a bowl to form the base. i found it a little easier to use a food processor to get an even mixture! press firmly down into the the tin, in an even layer.
3. bake the base for around 15 minutes, or until it has become slightly golden.
4. meanwhile, mix the caramel ingredients together in a saucepan, and simmer for ten minutes. make sure you stir the mixture continuously as the caramel is easily burnt!
5. the caramel should be of a thick consistency. pour the mixture over the base, and return to the oven for 15 minutes, or until the caramel starts to bubble and brown. i found it only needed around 10 minutes all in!
6. once removed from the oven, chill the tray in the fridge for an hour or so. once the caramel has hardened, combine the chocolate and sunflower oil in a saucepan, and heat over a low setting until it has melted together. pour the chocolate over the slice and chill again. once set, cut into pieces!
although i was skeptical of this being an easy recipe to make, it did turn out to be true. the one downfall to my slices was that i burnt the bottom of the base, as our oven gets a bit over excited at times! this did add some more crunch to them though, and so they weren't ruined in any way.